Do E-Mail Newsletters Work Anymore?

They are Free. That’s the number one advantage. But built on a traditional newsletter model, I think the e-mail letter is out. I remember a few years ago (a lifetime on the internet and in this economy) learning how to format and tips on what to say in the headline so that someone opens the e0mail. I remember even learning how many characters to include in one line!
What I don’t remember is reading too many that I received, and I get about 500-700 e-mails per day in my spam box. I get another 5-7 that I actively engage in trying to follow, and another 5-6 that are on my whitelist, but I just don’t have time to follow.

What I appreciate about the ones I read says more about me than the sender-
I like my marketing tips or information in bite sized nuggets. More than 500 words and you’re wasting my time.

So when I suggest you start an e-mail newsletter subscription list- what I really want you to do is to post your newsletter on your website, html graphics and all. Then, take your best articles, condense to a teaser and send to your subscribers. Those interested will click through to your site (I do this with Dan Kennedy all the time) and you can measure readability. It also shows you respect the reader and their time.

If you really want to stand out, then invest a little money into your list: by that I mean create a real hot off the presses newsletter, which will cost you pennies a page to print, and .42 cents to mail. Are your 100 most valuable customers worth $42.00?

You’d have to do some cost analysis, but a mailed newsletter done well and done right would set you apart from your competition, and build on the trust based permission marketing you need to succeed in the long term. It also increases your viability as an expert in your community, and if you make if fun, and humorous, could be looked forward to by your most evangelical customers.

And what do we know about those clients? They like to talk, and tell their friends what they know or what they’ve learned. Be the resource they quote.
“I was reading in my marketing guy’s newsletter the other day . . .”

Be sure to include a link to your website at the bottom of every page, and in the format, you need to have a special offer or discount available only to mailed recipients. Keep them special. Also, for the sake of the environment, ask that they pass the newsletter along to friends, or donate it to their local college or library.

A collection of twelve of your printed newsletters in a three ring binder would make an invaluable contribution to small business centers in the community, IF you do it right. Be resourceful, be funny and be informative and you can build your business into something remarkable by being contrarian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wealth Advantage: Fitness and Finance Strategies for Men 50+

10 Essential Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle: Transforming Your Well-being

Eon Templar - book 3 in the classic sci fi series