Goal Setting for Ultramarathon Training spills over to writing


Getting ready for the D100 (Daytona 100) an Ultramarathon on Nov 13 in FL.

I have to train in the dark sometimes, because the Florida humidity is still thick.  Every time I go for a run after the sun goes down, I think about vampires.  I have yet to see one.  I have seen dozens of small animals, more snakes than I can count, and once a bear.  Ok, it was probably a chow dog about 1/4 a mile away, but it was dark and there was no bark, and my heart thumped like it was a bear.

My last 100 mile race was in Key West, and I ran through the night then too.  It took me 30 hours to complete the 100 miles, and I was wiped out for days after. 

I've approached my training a little different for this one, combining more strength training (imagine doing squats for hours at a time) and lower mileage with a concentration on speed.  I've also worked on speed walking to increase the turnover in my stride and move faster on walking breaks.  I've got my fast walk down to a 16 minute mile, still 4 minutes away from the 12 I have targeted.

I'd like to complete this race in under 24.  It's a big whopping bit to chop off my last time, but the silver buckle beckons, the course is gorgeous and it should be in reach.

Big goals are essential when you do an ultra, but I'm no stranger to big goals.  A detour into entrepreneurship in May kept me from adding 4 more 100 mile races to the bucket for 2015.  That's okay, I just moved them over to 2016.  Racing is time consuming, and there has to be balance in life.  Otherwise I'd spend all my time racing and only see my loved ones every so often.

Maybe in 2016, I'll do 10 100 mile races.
It's getting close to that time of the year, when one should evaluate the past 12 months and set milestones and plan for the next 12.

I have over a dozen books almost ready to go on Amazon.  Maybe that's one of my big goals.  To get them all proofed and published.

What are some of your goals for next year?
Have you started planning them yet?


Pick up your copy of THE HITMAN'S CONUNDRUM for a fast easy read that's action packed.  It's a script that reads like a book.

CHARMED LIFE           Creating Brand Stories for Entrepreneurs      Epoch Templar

Did you know you can get all these titles and more on Kindle Unlimited?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wealth Advantage: Fitness and Finance Strategies for Men 50+

10 Essential Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle: Transforming Your Well-being

Eon Templar - book 3 in the classic sci fi series