Jake Burbank Mystery Thriller Series - What's your favorite memory?




Ever time travel?

Most people don’t think it’s real, but if you’re like me, you believe in it.

Still skeptical?

Ever hear a song that takes you back to a special place in your life?

How about a smell that sparks a memory?

Or that shiver you get from déjà vu’?

That’s time travelling. If you believe in quantum theory, there are a number of reasons for it. Parallel universe kind of stuff.

Or maybe the Sherlock explanation works best.

It’s just a simple pleasant memory.

For me, I have a lot of fond memories. I don’t think my childhood was easy.

I grew up so broke, we were just Po. We couldn’t afford the or to be poor.

Single hippie mom. Cigarettes and beer were number one and two on the grocery list with food a distant third after a dime bag for Friday night.

I had grandparents though and I’ve talked about Mamaw and Papaw before.  Grew their own food. Hunted their own meat. Built things with their hands. And always always had something special for the grandkids.

I had good friends who liked to play outside. And a town where it was safe at the time to bike all over, and go up to people’s houses to drink from their water hose when you got thirsty.

Good teachers, or maybe I was just good enough in school or liked it enough that I have good memories of it.

And when I could drive, I stopped drinking from hoses and biking all over.  I ran a little, but mostly, I drove.

All over and all around, from back roads to small parks, to city streets and down alleys.

I loved to drive and I discovered a lot about my town and the capitol an hour away.

Maybe you can never escape where you came from. You carry the memory of it with you everywhere, scars and all.

Sometimes it’s hard to talk about scars, but how they happened make the best stories.

I don’t know when I started writing it. Years ago, I think, after a Grisham novel. The cultural references make me think I was younger.

An idealistic lawyer gets an impossible case and it turns his life upside down.

I’ve been working on it lately, in between the sci fi and zombie novels.

It’s not a law novel. Just a story about a down and out lawyer.

But what it really is, is a love letter to where I grew up. To the places I explored and found, to my favorite places to eat.

A lot of those places are gone, alive only in a different time and the pages of this new series coming out.

It makes me sad.

Sad for you, really. You won’t know what a cherry coke from Dagwood’s tastes like or a Rich’s hamburger or a marathon bar in the summer sun at Atkin’s lake.

You won’t scare up four dimes from Mamaw so you and your brother can grab two cans of coke from a vending machine on the corner on a hot July day.

I bet your memories are even better than mine.

Tell me about them. Let’s go time travelling together.

Jake Burbank is out in November in HONKY TONK BARASSOCIATION, book one in the mystery thriller series.

I promise it will be packed with a ton of memories too.

Want exclusive content and a free book? Sign up on Patron for less than a cup of coffee and you'r ein the club.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wealth Advantage: Fitness and Finance Strategies for Men 50+

10 Essential Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle: Transforming Your Well-being

Eon Templar - book 3 in the classic sci fi series