My Journey Abroad - an excerpt just for you
My
Journey Abroad
Flying from Dulles in Washington DC to whatever the name is of
the international airport in Zurich I kept waiting for feelings of anxiety and
nervousness. I was hoping that this would be like the proverbial descent into
stardom, that waiting masses of admirers would greet me at the gate, like the
Beatles arriving at JFK, screaming my name and waving signs. But I arrived
alone, with no one to even greet me. The porter did smile and the customs agent
wished me a pleasant journey.
“What is the reason for your visit?”
“I’m going to hike around the continent and-”
“Pleasure,” he said.
STAMP. He handed my back my passport.
“Enjoy your trip. Next!”
I wandered from the area looking for a map, instructions of some
sort that would give me a clue as to my next step. I was in a brand new
country, across an ocean I’ve never seen, with people who I couldn’t
understand. I was ready for anything.
I found a train going into town, an express straight to the
train station I would get to know so well. At the time, I had no idea of that,
so I hauled my pack on board, rested it between my legs and watched as the
train whisked through the fields surrounding the city. I saw little through the
windows.
The day was cloudy and almost wet, but not quite. The air was
pregnant with moisture, as if any minute, fat thick raindrops would fall from
the sky like little bombs, exploding in icicle freeze bombs. After an overnight
flight, you notice things like that. What you fail to notice is the degree of
tired you are at the time. You think that being a young, virile American male,
with hoards of screaming admirers that failed to show up at the gate, you can
tackle trekking across a brand new country with ease. Nature invented certain
failsafes for idiots like me. The body will accept not sleeping on a plane in
the crowded regurgitated air and cramped kennel like quarters. It will accept
the limitations placed on it from lack of food, sufficing to survive on peanuts
and cola, tiny finger sandwiches with wilted lettuce and half cooked Beef
Wellington. It would even agree to march through crowded train stations, day
after day of hiking down uninhabited country roadsides, infrequent naps caught
in train compartments. But what the body needed before any of this was rest.
Nature would take care of that by shutting down all unnecessary functions,
including deductive reasoning. What do you do in America when you are
travelling and tired? Pull off the highway to a small cheap motel, crash on the
bed in front of a faded color television set and sleep for nine hours. What do
you do in Switzerland when you are getting ready to travel but need rest and
can’t find a cheap motel just off the highway, television or no?
You find a bed and breakfast, sleep from three in the afternoon
until breakfast the next morning and hope that the privilege doesn’t break you
toward the end of your trip. All battles and excursions should be carefully
planned to the most minute detail to limit the amount of funds wasted on
frivolity. In the most dejected state of tiredness, sleep is not a frivolity.
I was lost in a new city, uncomprehending the three maps in my
hand and pocket and too tired to ask for directions. I wandered down a dirty
alley, past a series of empty plate glass windows and stumbled into the first
bed and breakfast I could find.
How was I to know it was in a red light district? I slept
through the most exciting night of my trip.
FRANKFURT
He languished in a wheelchair, an old hand fashioned monstrosity
with a stretched wicker back and rusty handles. Mired in a corner, it was
positioned so the falling sun would rest on his afghan covered legs. I did not
know his story. Maybe he was a soldier from the great war, his face was lined
and his hair white enough for it. It was Germany, so I couldn't know who he
fought for, though I wanted to suspect it was our side. He smoked American
cigarettes with trembling hands. When he smiled, it filled his whole face, and
he meant it.
“You should drink with him," the waiter said when he
brought my coffee. I counted out each deutschmark, trying to concentrate on the
conversion to tip ratio and calculate whether I could afford to drink it.
"I don't speak German."
"No matter. Just sit with him."
I watched him walk away, then looked at the old man. I don't
like old people. They scare me. They annoy me. I'm not the type of person who
looks at the elderly as a source of wisdom, a font of learned experience.
Rather, I tolerate them out of respect for my grandparents. My mother told me
once "A fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from
others," is a forced lesson on listening to my grandfather. He was blood.
I would listen to him, and smile because he gave me twenty dollars for my
birthday and tried to teach me how to fish. He earned my respect. That didn't
make him any less annoying. So I wondered why this student/waiter who I had
struck up a conversation with in hopes of sleeping on his couch that night
instead of a park bench would suggest I sit with a decrepit stranger.
I slung my pack over one shoulder, picked up my coffee and
several packages of crackers and walked over to him.
"Guten tag. May I sit sir?"
I motioned with my hands, the universal gestures of
understanding. He looked at me, looked at the table and nodded.
"Bitte."
I sat down and offered him a cracker. He shook his head and held
out a cigarette. I declined.
I do not speak German, or French, and my Spanish is limited to a
few phrases that could get me beer, or arrested or beat up. So my decision to
go to Europe and walk the earth seemed ambitious. I blame it on my mother. She
was a teenager of the sixties, a flower child. Weaned on Jack Kerouac and
marijuana like thousands of young, idealistic students before her, she wanted
to backpack across the Continent. She never made it, but passed the dream on to
me.
"I always wanted to hike across Europe. Over there, you can
hook up with a group of kids, and crash together and hang out. It's the
coolest. I want you boys to do that, just hike around in nature, and take the
trains. See all the things I read about. Doesn't that sound great."
I didn't give her a thought as I sat beside the old man in the
cafe in Frankfurt. All I could think about as he started rattling at me was,
" I should have studied more in first semester German."
His voice was cracked from too many cigarettes, but he shot his
phrases like a machine gun. I could tell when he asked a question. He did that
thing we all do, where we raise the end of our sentence a half octave. He
helped out by nodding and smiling, or shaking his head. I monkeyed him, nodding
, shaking, smiling, trying to drink my coffee and watch the people walk by
without being rude. He waved the waiter over.
"He wants to know what you do. Are you a student?"
I nodded.
"I'm just backpacking around. I'm a writer."
I have read that if you say a thing often enough, it becomes
true. And I do sit in front of a typewriter occasionally.
The old man laughed and slapped his dead leg. The waiter laughed
too.
"What did I say?"
"He says he knew a writer once. He starved to death
too." He pointed to my crackers and walked off.
The old man grabbed my arm, tugging. He began talking.
"When I was around your age, I aspired to many things, but
never to write. I was going to be a great soldier, like a warrior from ancient
Rome. I put my lot in the army, believing I would advance quickly and be a
general before I was thirty. But I liked the women too much and spent more of
my time and paycheck in the brothels than on being a better soldier. Perhaps I
was lucky my ambitions led me to bed, than to battle.
"One night, after a sojourn in the district, the air raid
sirens went off. Lights blinked out, and I ducked in a doorway. All around us
in the darkness, you could hear the pattering of feet as people scurried for
cover. But you could never hear the planes. They flew too high. All you heard
was a quick whistle, then the explosion. Or at least that is how I imagine it
to be. That is how I hear it on the television. What I heard was the low
whistle, then nothing. I woke up with no legs. But I can still woo a woman, or
at least I could until I got old."
He laughed and patted my shoulder. The waiter came back.
"He wants you to meet his cat."
"What?"
"He told you about his cat, now he wants you to meet it and
stay with us tonight."
He leaned over and unlocked the wheels on the chair, spoke in
German, then looked at me.
"My grandfather wants you to stay at our flat tonight. If
you push him home, he will show you the way."
"Thanks." But you don't know me. I mean, I know this
is how it's supposed to be over here, but in my country, we feel funny if
friends have keys to our apartments. How can you let a total stranger into your
life?
The old man leaned forward, clasped my hand in his tough
weathered grip. The waiter held out my backpack.
"I am Alfred. Don't worry, you will be safe with us
tonight."
I put on my pack, thanked him and started pushing the old man
down the street. He smiled at me, pointed at this building and that, rattling
on in his machine gun talk.
"Not far from here, I knew a girl----"
I
post on Blogger and Medium where you can read for free,
including an epic sci fi novel in progress.
Want
exclusive content and advance
notices? Become a Patron and get a free book each month.
Join
me on Facebook.
See
me on Instagram.
Follow
me on Twitter
Watch
me
on Youtube
Sci-Fi Comedy
All Jacked Up – The Dipole
Series
Good Eats Café – The Dipole
Series
Whiskey Bent – The Dipole
Series
Love Machine – The Dipole
Series
Lunar Hustle- The Dipole
Series
The Dipole Shield - The Dipole Series
Planet 9 - The Dipole Series
The Dipole Shield - The Dipole Series
Planet 9 - The Dipole Series
Planet
10 – The Dipole Series
Half
Cocked – The Dipole Series
Berserker
Brigade – The Dipole Series
Apogee
– The Dipole Series
Apex
– The Dipole Series
Sci Fi Western
Backwoods
Station – Bootleg
Backwoods
Station – Martian Roulette
Sci Fi Dystopian-
Alien Invasion
Phalanx - Invasion Earth
Pyrrhic - Invasion Earth
Beachhead - Invasion Earth
Bridgehead - Invasion Earth
Lodgement – Invasion Earth
Ultima Thule – Invasion
Earth
Infiltrate – Invasion Earth
Dustoff – Invasion
Earth
Riki Tik- Invasion
Earth
Snakebit – Invasion
Earth
Defilade
– Invasion Earth
Science
Fiction Adventure
Moon Men
Epoch - The Future Templar
Eon- The Future Templar
Era - The Future Templar
Super Secret Space Mission
The Herd Shot Round the World
High Steaks
Star Squad –
Frag
Star Squad –
Nanowarriors
Star Squad –
Pogue
Thriller
ASSET – a Brill
Winger Thriller
OPERATIVE – a Brill
Winger Thriller
SIDEWAYS – a Brill Winger Thriller
CHOKEPOINT – a Brill
Winger Thriller
DECREED - a Brill
Winger Thriller
IN THE DARK – a Brill Winger Thriller
IN
THE WIND - a Brill Winger Thriller
IN
THE BLACK - a Brill Winger Thriller
Webb of Lies – An action
thriller
BATTLEFIELD Z SERIES
Grab
your copy of the sci fi comedy about a dad hunting for his kids in a post
apocalyptic wasteland where zombies aren’t the worst thing to survive.
Battlefield Z
Children's Brigade
Sweet Home Zombie
Zombie Blues Highway
Mardi Gras Zombie
Bluegrass Zombie
Outcast Zombie
Renegade Zombie
Everglades Zombie
Children's Brigade
Sweet Home Zombie
Zombie Blues Highway
Mardi Gras Zombie
Bluegrass Zombie
Outcast Zombie
Renegade Zombie
Everglades Zombie
Flyover Zombie - the
Battlefield Z series
Headshots - the Battlefield Z series
Overland Zombie
Lone Star Zombie
Headshots - the Battlefield Z series
Overland Zombie
Lone Star Zombie
The
Pass Zombie
Dust
Devil Zombie
Terminal
Zombie
Ronin
Zombie
Urban
Fantasy
GUNS AND MAGIC - a Marshal of Magic story
WITCH BLUES - a Marshal of Magic story
BIG EASY WITCH - a Marshal of Magic story
VIVA
WITCH VEGAS – a Marshal of Magic Tale
The
Marshal of Magic – Hail Fellow
The
Marshal of Magic – The Devil You Know
The
Marshal of Magic - Small Medium at Large
The
Marshal of Magic - Low Elf Esteem
The
Marshal of Magic - Big Trouble
CRESCENT CITY
COVEN SERIES
Historical
Fantasy
Western
Fort
Smith - Carried by Six
Evasion - Destruction Earth
Omnibus
Collections
Sanctioned – Shadowboxer
Files
Unsanctioned – Shadowboxer
Files
DISAVOWED – Free book
Pod
– a sci fi thriller
Evasion
– a post apoc short

Comments
Post a Comment