Zurich - a travel adventure excerpt






            Flying from Dulles in Washington DC to whatever the name is of the international airport in Zurich I kept waiting for feelings of anxiety and nervousness.  I was hoping that this would be like the proverbial descent into stardom, that waiting masses of admirers would greet me at the gate, like the Beatles arriving at JFK, screaming my name and waving signs.  
But I arrived alone, with no one to even greet me.  The porter did smile and the customs agent wished me a pleasant journey.
            “What is the reason for your visit?”
            “I’m going to hike around the continent and-”
            “Pleasure,” he said.
            STAMP.  He handed my back my passport.
            “Enjoy your trip.  Next!”
            I wandered from the area looking for a map, instructions of some sort that would give me a clue as to my next step.  I was in a brand new country, across an ocean I’ve never seen, with people who I couldn’t understand.  I was ready for anything.
            I found a train going into town, an express straight to the train station I would get to know so well.  At the time, I had no idea of that, so I hauled my pack on board, rested it between my legs and watched as the train wisked through the fields surrounding the city.  I saw little through the windows.
            The day was cloudy and almost wet, but not quite.  The air was pregnant with moisture, as if any minute, fat thick raindrops would fall from the sky like little bombs, exploding in icicle freeze bombs.  After an over night flight, you notice things like that.  What you fail to notice is the degree of tired you are at the time.  You think that being a young, virile American male, with hoards of screaming admirers that failed to show up at the gate, you can tackle trekking across a brand new country with ease.  Nature invented certain fail safes for idiots like me.  
The body will accept not sleeping on a plane in the crowded regurgitated air and cramped kennel like quarters. 
It will accept the limitations placed on it from lack of food, sufficing to survive on peanuts and cola, tiny finger sandwiches with wilted lettuce and half cooked Beef Wellington.  
It would even agree to march through crowded train stations, day after day of hiking down uninhabited country roadsides, infrequent naps caught in train compartments.  
But what the body needed before any of this was rest. 
Nature would take care of that by shutting down all unnecessary functions, including deductive reasoning.  What do you do in America when you are travelling and tired?  Pull off the highway to a small cheap motel, crash on the bed in front of a faded color television set and sleep for nine hours.  What do you do in Switzerland when you are getting ready to travel but need rest and can’t find a cheap motel just off the highway, television or no?
            You find a bed and breakfast, sleep from three in the afternoon until breakfast the next morning and hope that the privilege doesn’t break you toward the end of your trip.  All battles and excursions should be carefully planned to the most minute detail to limit the amount of funds wasted on frivolity.  In the most dejected state of tiredness, sleep is not a frivolity.
            I was lost in a new city, uncomprehending the three maps in my hand and pocket and too tired to ask for directions.  I wandered down a dirty alley, past a series of  empty plate glass windows and stumbled into the first bed and breakfast I could find. 
            How was I to know it was in a red light district?  I slept through the most exciting night of my trip.





I post on Blogger and Medium where you can read for free, including an epic sci fi novel in progress.

Want exclusive content and advance notices? Become a Patron and get a free book each month.






Sci-Fi Comedy

All Jacked Up – The Dipole Series
Good Eats Café – The Dipole Series
Whiskey Bent – The Dipole Series
Love Machine – The Dipole Series
Lunar Hustle- The Dipole Series
The Dipole Shield - The Dipole Series
Planet 9 - The Dipole Series
Planet 10 – The Dipole Series
Half Cocked – The Dipole Series
Berserker Brigade – The Dipole Series
Apogee – The Dipole Series
Apex – The Dipole Series


Sci Fi Western

Backwoods Station – Bootleg
Backwoods Station – Martian Roulette




Sci Fi Dystopian- Alien Invasion

Phalanx - Invasion Earth

Pyrrhic - Invasion Earth

Beachhead - Invasion Earth
Bridgehead - Invasion Earth
Lodgement – Invasion Earth
Ultima Thule – Invasion Earth
Infiltrate – Invasion Earth
Dustoff – Invasion Earth
Riki Tik- Invasion Earth
Snakebit – Invasion Earth
Defilade – Invasion Earth







Science Fiction Adventure

Moon Men
Epoch - The Future Templar
Eon- The Future Templar
Era - The Future Templar

Super Secret Space Mission

The Herd Shot Round the World
High Steaks

Star Squad – Frag
Star Squad – Nanowarriors
Star Squad – Pogue




Thriller

ASSET – a Brill Winger Thriller
OPERATIVE – a Brill Winger Thriller
SIDEWAYS – a Brill Winger Thriller
CHOKEPOINT – a Brill Winger Thriller
DECREED - a Brill Winger Thriller
IN THE DARK – a Brill Winger Thriller
IN THE WIND - a Brill Winger Thriller
IN THE BLACK - a Brill Winger Thriller


Tin Trooper – a Brill Winger story
Nazi Nukes
- a Brill Winger story

Webb of Lies – An action thriller


BATTLEFIELD Z SERIES
Grab your copy of the sci fi comedy about a dad hunting for his kids in a post apocalyptic wasteland where zombies aren’t the worst thing to survive.

Flyover Zombie - the Battlefield Z series
Headshots - the Battlefield Z series
Overland Zombie
Lone Star Zombie
The Pass Zombie
Dust Devil Zombie
Terminal Zombie
Ronin Zombie





Urban Fantasy

GUNS AND MAGIC - a Marshal of Magic story
WITCH BLUES - a Marshal of Magic story
BIG EASY WITCH - a Marshal of Magic story
VIVA WITCH VEGAS – a Marshal of Magic Tale
The Marshal of Magic – Hail Fellow
The Marshal of Magic – The Devil You Know
The Marshal of Magic - Small Medium at Large
The Marshal of Magic - Low Elf Esteem
The Marshal of Magic - Big Trouble

CRESCENT CITY COVEN SERIES







Historical Fantasy

The Holy War – Blood Bound


Western

Fort Smith - Carried by Six

Evasion - Destruction Earth

Omnibus Collections







Sanctioned – Shadowboxer Files
Unsanctioned – Shadowboxer Files


DISAVOWED – Free book

Pod – a sci fi thriller
Evasion – a post apoc short





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How good are you at asking for help?

Lone Star Zombie - The Battlefield Z series