Five years ago today


Five years ago today, I biked down a volcano in Hawaii.

It was the day after running a marathon, so I figured I’d be safe.

It was mostly braking, some coasting, and trying not to fall 90% of the time.

Still, it was a cool adventure.

I car camped the night after, sleeping next to a beach as waves crashed on the shore.

This morning, I wasn’t sure if I planned to even go outside.

The temp was 17 when I woke up, and warmed all the way up to 29 when the sun peeked over the edge of the eastern horizon.

That’s where it planned to stay, according to the professional liars who masqueraded as weathermen.

I was reminded of my Hawaiian adventure by Facebook, who is kind enough to document my day with photo and post and even video, should I so choose.

And then, forever, my adventures are etched into the interwebs, brought up once a year to remind me of what I once did.

Or in this case, how awesome I was, just five short years ago.

I’m too embarrassed to post today.

What would I say?

My toes are cold and I’m curling up on the couch?

That is as far a cry from volcano cruising as there ever could be.

Every day I think about car camping.

Grabbing a minivan, tossing a sleeping bag and some gear in the back, and get gone to parts unknown.

I think about exploring, adventure, trail walking, wildlife stalking, running up mountains and biking down them.

I think about cruising the New England country side and pulling over to roadside stands to buy homemade jam for picnic sandwiches.

Or puttering down A1A all the way to the end and settling in on some beach in Key West to watch the sun rise on one side of the island and go down on the other.

If there was such a trip, it would involve every historic marker along the way, and the wild places would have to have internet, so I could post about them.

I wouldn’t want to forget on this day.

Chris

PS. If you haven’t grabbed SUPER SECRET SPACE MISSION, you can today.

Their adventures continue in HERD SHOT ROUND THE WORLD


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wealth Advantage: Fitness and Finance Strategies for Men 50+

10 Essential Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle: Transforming Your Well-being

Eon Templar - book 3 in the classic sci fi series