Lone Star Zombie - The Battlefield Z series


CHAPTER ONE





Before.
I stopped watching the news because I read somewhere that successful people focused on things they could control.
It’s hard to control the news.
It’s designed for shock value, and in a game of ratings, most news reporting started to rely on shock value.
I feel I may have missed out on a lot.
Sometimes, I’d watch gas prices shoot up and wonder what happened to affect the price.
Then I’d click into a station and hear that the President was making remarks about the Middle East, which would make oil prices rise, and speculators would rush in to change the price of a barrel. Then gas stations which were owned by conglomerates working in the Middle East would raise the price of gas.
It made a lot of investment guys rich and took money away from most of the working people I knew at the time. Twenty bucks a week more for gas didn’t hurt someone who made six figures a year, but a single mom would suffer from the loss.
I thought about that as I stood guard over Brian.
He worked a hand pump he had rigged to siphon gas from a fuel tank at a gas station we had stopped the bus at.
I set up Tyler and the Boy to eyeball one direction on the road, and I covered the other. I kept the rest of our group on the bus.
This was a simple grab and go.
“It’s got water in it,” said Brian. “But I can make it work.”
Most fuel held in underground tanks have a layer of water in them. I didn’t realize that until we started scraping the bottom of the tanks for scraps of gas in hard hit areas.
“I don’t want to do it here,” I reminded him.
I didn’t need too. He wanted to get back on the road as much as I did.
“I can get us another twenty miles on the tank,” he said. “This will get us forty more.”
I nodded.
I wasn’t too worried about the twenty miles.
There would be a place we could pull off, set up camp and he could re-refine the refined gasoline.
The forty miles wasn’t a problem either. We’d make the Gulf Coast before then.
I wanted some gas for a boat.
And I was afraid a big boat would need diesel.
I glanced at his little hand pump.
Diesel fuel was thicker than the watery gasoline we were sucking up into five gallon containers.
I didn’t know if it would work.
“We’ll figure out the rest when we get there,” I told him.
I wasn’t sure who I was hoping would believe it more, him or me.




Want to get LONE STAR ZOMBIE free?  Help out here and get your own copy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How good are you at asking for help?