THE MARSHAL OF MAGIC – MYTH UNDERSTOOD

 


From Mythunderstood - book 6 in the series


Chapter One

 

“I need your help,” the voice on the other end of the phone said and I froze.

The simple truth was, I never expected to hear from her again. At least not in this life.

Plus, I was still feeling from the sight of a black fox darting from the undergrowth in the woods and dropping a flip phone cell on the path at my feet.

It felt surreal and disconnected, like the fragment of a dream where the afterimage lingers long after the sun has come up to burn away the memories.

I remembered her.

Kiko. From Vegas.

The fox made sense.  She was kitsune. Half human, half deity spirit from the island of Japan.

I tried to think of a great comeback, one that would impress her and stoke the fires.

“I bet you do.”

Nailed it.

“Because of Vegas?” she purred.

I could imagine the curl of her pouty lip, lifted in one corner in a semblance of a smile.

“Exactly,” I said into the phone and tried not to yell as I ignored the slick patina of fox slobber that coated the plastic shell.

“Nice,” her voice sounded tinny. Distant.  “Uh, remember the dragon you stole the egg from?”

“We,” I corrected her.

She cleared her throat and waited to see if I had more to say. I wanted to rage, to rant and curse. Instead, I waited back.

It was easy to imagine the look on her face.

She had a beautiful face.

“We,” she finally sighed into the phone.

“I remember,” I prompted.

“She had a daughter,” Kiko said. “I think she’s trying to kill me.”


The Marshal of Magic Series

 

1.  Guns and Magic

 

2.  Witch Blues

 

3.  Big Easy Witch

 

4.  Viva Witch Vegas

 

5.  Rules for Fighting Demons

 

6.  MythUnderstood


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wealth Advantage: Fitness and Finance Strategies for Men 50+

10 Essential Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle: Transforming Your Well-being

Eon Templar - book 3 in the classic sci fi series