The Marshal of Magic - Myth Understood an urban fantasy thriller
THE MARSHAL OF MAGIC –
MYTH UNDERSTOOD
“I need your help,” the voice on the other end of the phone
said and I froze.
The simple truth was, I never expected to hear from her
again. At least not in this life.
Plus, I was still feeling from the sight of a black fox
darting from the undergrowth in the woods and dropping a flip phone cell on the
path at my feet.
It felt surreal and disconnected, like the fragment of a
dream where the afterimage lingers long after the sun has come up to burn away
the memories.
I remembered her.
Kiko. From Vegas.
The fox made sense.
She was kitsune. Half human, half diety spirit from the island of Japan.
I tried to think of a great comeback, one that would impress
her and stoke the fires.
“I bet you do.”
Nailed it.
“Because of Vegas?” she purred.
I could imagine the curl of her pouty lip, lifted in one
corner in a semblance of a smile.
“Exactly,” I said into the phone and tried not to yell as I
ignored the slick patina of fox slobber that coated the plastic shell.
“Nice,” her voice sounded tinny. Distant. “Uh, remember the dragon you stole the egg
from?”
“We,” I corrected her.
She cleared her throat and waited to see if I had more to
say. I wanted to rage, to rant and curse. Instead, I waited back.
It was easy to imagine the look on her face.
She had a beautiful face.
“We,” she finally sighed into the phone.
“I remember,” I prompted.
“She had a daughter,” Kiko said. “I think she’s trying to
kill me.”
CHAPTER TWO
I had a selfish thought as I listened to her breathing on
the other end of the phone. The last time we were together I was able to
perform a transporter spell
Magic at its most fundamental level is a function of quantum reality.
Magic at its most fundamental level is a function of quantum reality.
Know what an atom is?
For a long time people thought atoms were the smallest
things in the universe turns out they were wrong. There are creations called
quarks which make up atoms and I bet when science catches up to reality there
are even smaller particles that make up a quark.
What that means to normal people though is the universe is a fast place full of the unknown.
What that means to normal people though is the universe is a fast place full of the unknown.
Part of that unknown, a manipulation of quantum reality, is
called magic.
It really is a case of now you see it now you don't.
The transporter spell moves a body from one location to the next and yes I stole the name from Star Trek.
Beam me up.
It's so advanced that wizards nearing the century mark can’t perform it.
It really is a case of now you see it now you don't.
The transporter spell moves a body from one location to the next and yes I stole the name from Star Trek.
Beam me up.
It's so advanced that wizards nearing the century mark can’t perform it.
. Mucho mucho magic.
I did it once, the ghost of my Watcher Elvis screaming in my ear as I fell from a couple of thousand feet up in the air
I have heard of people hulking out when their body dumps adrenalin laced with fear into their system.
I did it once, the ghost of my Watcher Elvis screaming in my ear as I fell from a couple of thousand feet up in the air
I have heard of people hulking out when their body dumps adrenalin laced with fear into their system.
Mothers can lift cars off of their small children and
apparently young magic users under a century-old, such as myself, can cast a
spell like few others
I did it to save my life.
And now Kiko was asking for my help.
I did it to save my life.
And now Kiko was asking for my help.
Made me think of this spell, and made me wonder if being
around a half God wood enhance my magical ability.
Selfish, I know.
“I don't know how soon I can get to Japan,” I said.
After we slayed the Dragon, Kiko stole the dragon egg absconded for parts Unknown. She was returning it to her home country.
“I'm in San Francisco,” she said.
I shrugged, even though she couldn’t see me.
“Still not as easy as driving from Memphis to New Orleans,” I said. “I can be there tomorrow.”
“That may be too late,” she said. “Can't you ask your judge for help?”
The Judge was the most powerful magic-user on the planet and maybe even in a couple of realms.
Selfish, I know.
“I don't know how soon I can get to Japan,” I said.
After we slayed the Dragon, Kiko stole the dragon egg absconded for parts Unknown. She was returning it to her home country.
“I'm in San Francisco,” she said.
I shrugged, even though she couldn’t see me.
“Still not as easy as driving from Memphis to New Orleans,” I said. “I can be there tomorrow.”
“That may be too late,” she said. “Can't you ask your judge for help?”
The Judge was the most powerful magic-user on the planet and maybe even in a couple of realms.
He was the Judge, and Executioner of the Magical World, and
I was one of his deputized magical Marshal.
I don't know quite how old the judge was.
I met a gnome New Orleans, who was practically immortal who
showed me a picture of a vision of the Judge when he was younger battle that
predated recorded history by at least a millennia.
He could transport me just about anywhere I needed to go, and often did times without warning or informing me, leaving it up to me to figure out petty things like details.
“Do I really want to bother him with this?
“You probably should,” Kiko purred into the phone. “She's after you too.”
He could transport me just about anywhere I needed to go, and often did times without warning or informing me, leaving it up to me to figure out petty things like details.
“Do I really want to bother him with this?
“You probably should,” Kiko purred into the phone. “She's after you too.”
I'd like this done by the end of the year.
I
post on Blogger and Medium where you can read for free,
including an epic sci fi novel in progress.
Want
exclusive content and advance
notices? Become a Patron and get a free book each month.
Join
me on Facebook.
See
me on Instagram.
Follow
me on Twitter
Watch
me
on Youtube
Sci-Fi Comedy
All Jacked Up – The Dipole
Series
Good Eats Café – The Dipole
Series
Whiskey Bent – The Dipole
Series
Love Machine – The Dipole
Series
Lunar Hustle- The Dipole
Series
The Dipole Shield - The Dipole Series
Planet 9 - The Dipole Series
The Dipole Shield - The Dipole Series
Planet 9 - The Dipole Series
Planet
10 – The Dipole Series
Half
Cocked – The Dipole Series
Berserker
Brigade – The Dipole Series
Apogee
– The Dipole Series
Apex
– The Dipole Series
Sci Fi Western
Backwoods
Station – Bootleg
Backwoods
Station – Martian Roulette
Sci Fi Dystopian-
Alien Invasion
Phalanx - Invasion Earth
Pyrrhic - Invasion Earth
Beachhead - Invasion Earth
Bridgehead - Invasion Earth
Lodgement – Invasion Earth
Ultima Thule – Invasion
Earth
Infiltrate – Invasion Earth
Dustoff – Invasion
Earth
Riki Tik- Invasion
Earth
Snakebit – Invasion
Earth
Defilade
– Invasion Earth
Science
Fiction Adventure
Moon Men
Epoch - The Future Templar
Eon- The Future Templar
Era - The Future Templar
Super Secret Space Mission
The Herd Shot Round the World
High Steaks
Star Squad –
Frag
Star Squad –
Nanowarriors
Star Squad –
Pogue
Thriller
ASSET – a Brill
Winger Thriller
OPERATIVE – a Brill
Winger Thriller
SIDEWAYS – a Brill Winger Thriller
CHOKEPOINT – a Brill
Winger Thriller
DECREED - a Brill
Winger Thriller
IN THE DARK – a Brill Winger Thriller
IN
THE WIND - a Brill Winger Thriller
IN
THE BLACK - a Brill Winger Thriller
Webb of Lies – An action
thriller
BATTLEFIELD Z SERIES
Grab
your copy of the sci fi comedy about a dad hunting for his kids in a post
apocalyptic wasteland where zombies aren’t the worst thing to survive.
Battlefield Z
Children's Brigade
Sweet Home Zombie
Zombie Blues Highway
Mardi Gras Zombie
Bluegrass Zombie
Outcast Zombie
Renegade Zombie
Everglades Zombie
Children's Brigade
Sweet Home Zombie
Zombie Blues Highway
Mardi Gras Zombie
Bluegrass Zombie
Outcast Zombie
Renegade Zombie
Everglades Zombie
Flyover Zombie - the
Battlefield Z series
Headshots - the Battlefield Z series
Overland Zombie
Lone Star Zombie
Headshots - the Battlefield Z series
Overland Zombie
Lone Star Zombie
The
Pass Zombie
Dust
Devil Zombie
Terminal
Zombie
Ronin
Zombie
Urban
Fantasy
GUNS AND MAGIC - a Marshal of Magic story
WITCH BLUES - a Marshal of Magic story
BIG EASY WITCH - a Marshal of Magic story
VIVA
WITCH VEGAS – a Marshal of Magic Tale
The
Marshal of Magic – Hail Fellow
The
Marshal of Magic – The Devil You Know
The
Marshal of Magic - Small Medium at Large
The
Marshal of Magic - Low Elf Esteem
The
Marshal of Magic - Big Trouble
CRESCENT CITY
COVEN SERIES
Historical
Fantasy
Western
Fort
Smith - Carried by Six
Evasion - Destruction Earth
Omnibus
Collections
Sanctioned – Shadowboxer
Files
Unsanctioned – Shadowboxer
Files
DISAVOWED – Free book
Pod
– a sci fi thriller
Evasion
– a post apoc short

Comments
Post a Comment